Wednesday, January 14, 2009

American Dream

I wonder sometimes about the "American Dream". The big house, the white picket fence...is that really what God wants for our hearts to desire? Really? A house that is filled with empty rooms and empty hearts...waiting to be filled with next selfish desire?
In my eyes..I have the big house(& big mortgage) but so often feel it pulling me down. I spend a great deal of my time trying to keep it clean and not perfectly clean..just clean enough to keep away the bugs...perfectly clean would require no sleep at all.
I do feel blessed that I have a home/ a shelter but if we are gonna continue to live here, I dont want this house to be a burden. I want it to be a house of hope. I want the doors to swing wide open for the lost teen, the single mother, and the battered soul.
I pray God will continue to prepare our hearts for opportunities to minister through this acre of space we have because the moment we have it all to ourselves again..I just don't think I want it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O Kara,
you have always had such a BIG heart, what a blessing i'm sure you've been to those who have stayed with you and I know God will continue to use you because you are OPEN to His will. I have hope that you will soon be chanting the poem about the little old lady who lived in the shoe...except about the old part :)
lots of love, amanda

Bethany said...

Kara,
We are building a big house right now. The ONE stipulation that we put on it was we WERE going to use it for God. I too want to be able to house someone who needs a place, feed someone who's hungry, host Bible studies, impromptu parties...you name it! It's so much fun picking things for the house that I know will bless someone that comes visit. We are building God's guest house !:)(Because Heaven would be His residence! :)) haha!

THere is a good book about just such a thing called Silent Witness. I can't remember the auther but it's such a great book about using your house as a witness of Christ. It's got WONDERFUL ideas!